Late in summer 2011, a new team was formed at First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto, the Volunteer Resources Team. Our team banded together to ensure that all those who wished to be engaged or connected at First would be able to do so. We wanted to cement the connections between any individual member, friend or visitor, anyone and the groups, programs or jobs they were interested in at First.
Since that time last summer we have worked away at our table on Sundays at the top of the stairs. We have connected over 100 individuals to an array of groups at First:
- individuals who wanted to join a group, such as the Choir
- those who wanted to participate in programs, such as Soul to Soul sessions
- people who wanted to take part in committee work, including committees of the Board
- some who wanted to help at a special event
- or some who wanted to just sign up for Horizons, or First Light, the weekly e-news publication
We have had the great pleasure of speaking with many of you about your interests at First and how you could use your skills to lend a hand. In all of these great opportunities to speak with you we came to see that Volunteer Resources was not a title that reflected what we were doing, so we have decided to use a new name “Engage & Connect at First team” which more accurately reflects our commitment to everyone who needs help connecting whether they are a member, friend or visitor. We are delighted to continue to serve you with all the help we can give in ensuring that you get connected to the programs and groups in which you are interested.
Your Engage & Connect at First team, part of Member Services
The Engage & Connect Team's Goals & Duties:
- To provide resources and ongoing support for those wishing to be connected to programs and/or committees.
- To participate on Sundays at an Engage & Connect at First table and respond to email and phone inquiries.
- To maintain ongoing “portfolios” of individuals with whom to follow up, and ensure they are finding ways to get involved.
- To develop ways to match individuals with groups, committees, and jobs that suit their skills and interests.
Some ways that Members & Friends can engage and connect at First Unitarian right now:
Long-Term Member Engagement Opportunities
Short-Term Member Engagement Opportunities
Skills & Interests
Members & Friends of First are encouraged to take a couple minutes to fill in the Skills & Interest Survey form, to tell us about the skills and talents you'd like to share.
This is a great chance for us to learn about what you'd like to see, to help guide us into the future. The time you spend will be very much appreciated.